Chocolate Apple Bread
The combination of chocolate, cinnamon and apple make a great sweet bread that all will love.
2 tbsp. white sugar 1/2 cup margarine, softened
1/4 tsp. cinnamon 1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts 2 eggs
2 cups all purpose flour 1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. salt 2 tbsp. buttermilk
1/2 tsp. baking powder 1 cup chopped apples
1/2 tsp. baking soda 1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 tsp. cinnamon 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1. To make the topping, in a small bowl mix the sugar, cinnamon and finely chopped walnuts. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
3. In a separate large bowl cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla extract, and mix well. Gradually beat in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk. Stir in apples, walnuts, and semi-sweet chocolate chips. Pour into a greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pan. Sprinkle with topping.
4. Bake in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven for 50 to 60 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool on a wire rack.
Apple Bran Cheddar Muffins
Cheesy, applely bran muffins that make a great breakfast or afternoon snack.
1 cup whole bran cereal
1/4 cup milk
1 cup peeled, cored and sliced apple
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease one 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper liners.
2. Combine the bran cereal, milk and apples. Mix well. Beat in the vegetable oil and egg.
3. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and brown sugar. Make a well in the center and stir in the wet mixture. Add the shredded cheese and mix enough until just moistened. Scoop the batter into the prepared pans.
4. Bake at 375°F (190°C) for 15 to 20 minutes.